Hello, Dunedin! I’m back with your new edition of the Dunedin Daily. Let’s start this Wednesday off right with a quick guide to everything you need to know about what’s happening in town, including updates on:
- Pinellas County Schools Respond to School Shooter Threats
- An upcoming caregiver seminar
- Dueling Pianos is back at Rusty Lyon
But first, today’s weather:
Wet; an afternoon thunderstorm. High: 84 Low: 73.
Congratulations to the wonderful local company that makes this newsletter work:
Looking for original and unique artwork created by local Dunedin artists? Stirling Art Studios & Gallery is home to 12 professional artists honing their craft, while providing original works of art that appeal to collectors, interior designers and homeowners. Located at 730 Broadway in the heart of downtown Dunedin, their mission is to promote the arts to our community. Visit them here to learn more, or stop by Thursday through Sunday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. to see them at work and learn about the creative process.
Click here to feature your business in this spot.
Here are the best stories in Dunedin today:
- Dunedin Parks & Recreation is hosting a free caregiver survival tips seminar on October 18 at 10 a.m. at the Hale Senior Activity Center. The seminar will be presented by Kelly Siegal of Empath Health and will cover various tips including the importance of maintaining a sense of humor. Keeping your sense of humor as things change rapidly can be key to maintaining a caregiver’s health. Participants will also learn how to navigate community resources, take time for themselves, and restore friendships. No registration is required to attend. (Dunedin patch)
- A singles mixer hosted by Direct from Dunedin is scheduled for November 8 between 6 and 9 p.m. at Blur Nightclub. Tickets are $25 and include two drinks and a range of desserts. Participants will also have the chance to win one of many prizes, including a 24-hour golf cart rental from Let’s Go Carting and two passes to Safety Harbor Resort and Spa! All ages are welcome. (Live from Dunedin)
- Pinellas County schools responded to threats that were called into various police departments on Tuesday, reporting active shooters at several schools in the county and across the state. They posted on their Facebook page saying, “Pinellas County Schools take ALL threats seriously and our School Resource Officers, Schools Police Department and local law enforcement have responded to our schools as trained. There were NO signs of threat in any of our schools. Law enforcement is investigating the source(s) of the calls and those responsible will face criminal charges.” If you have a child attending a school in Pinellas County, you will receive a text message through the district in case of active threat verification. To subscribe to these messages, text Y or YES to 67587. (Pinellas County Schools via Facebook)
Daily picture of the day in Dunedin:
Thanks, Joe Rodriguez, for sharing this spooky photo you took downtown to help us get into the Halloween mood!
Want to see your Dunedin photo here? Submit it to [email protected] for review! Please confirm in the email that you own the rights to the photo and that Patch has permission to repost it.
Today in Dunedin:
- Group Technology Class at Dunedin Public Library (10 a.m.)
- Toddler Time Story Time at Dunedin Public Library (10:30 p.m.)
- Dunedin Kiwanis Satellite Club Social Network at Bon Apetit (6 p.m.)
- Resin Art Workshop at HOB (6:30 p.m.)
- Pairing Desserts and Cocktails at the Sonder Social Club (7:30 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- Dunedin Fire Rescue is looking to hire experienced firefighters. They offer a starting salary of up to $66,385 for anyone with five years of experience. Additionally, all certified Pinellas County paramedics will receive $5,000 at the end of their probationary year. Interested persons can apply online. (City of Dunedin via Facebook | Apply here)
- Dueling Pianos is back at Rusty Lyon on October 18 between 6 and 9 p.m.! A limited number of places will be open to the public. If you wish to attend, send your name for the reservation to [email protected] Reservations are available on a first come, first served basis and include one guest. (The Rusty Lyon via Facebook)
- The Nest at Caracara hosts the Broomsticks & Baddies Halloween burlesque show on October 28 at 8 p.m. The event also includes a costume contest and a dance party! Tickets are available online now for $30. (Caracara via Facebook | Tickets)
- A Greyhound Meet and Greet is scheduled for October 16 between noon and 2 p.m. at the HOB Brewing Company. Stop by to support Gold Coast Greyhound Adoptions and have a few drinks surrounded by these adorable dogs! (Gold Coast Greyhound Adoptions via Facebook)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
You are now in the loop and ready to start this Wednesday! I’ll be back in your inbox tomorrow morning with another update.