NASHVILLE, Tennessee (WKRN) – New Years Eve plans for dozens of businesses and event companies have been canceled due to the rise in COVID-19.
Some restaurants and stores in Nashville have announced on Instagram that they will be closed until further notice, saying the increase in positive COVID cases is impacting their workflow and employees.
“We don’t want to put people in a situation where they get sick or our employees get sick,” said Nathaniel Rashean Conaway, co-owner of Riddim-N-Spice in North Nashville. “We also face labor shortages, which make it even more difficult to operate our business. “
The Carribean restaurant was to host a New Years Eve party with music, food and cocktails. However, they decided to cancel the event.
“It was a combination of our past experience and seeing over the last week the number of cases that have increased,” said Conaway. “And also talk to business owners about their decisions to close their events or restaurants.”
NashLive, an East Nashville event promotion company, was also scheduled to host one of the many New Years parties in Nashville.
“We have a great training. We have a DJ for a late night dance party. We have sponsors, freebies, a midnight champagne toast. We are planning this big event for New Years Eve, ”said Gerard Longo, co-founder of NashLive. “Of course when we planned it we weren’t counting on the peak of COVID cases.”
Their event will be postponed until January 28.
“After seeing the number of cases increase, we all decided by mutual agreement that it was in our best interests to wait a few weeks,” Longo said.
News 2 has found at least a dozen other bars, restaurants and stores announcing closings on Instagram and social media. Some, like Yay Yay’s in North Nashville and Two Ten Jack in East Nashville, say they don’t have a timeline for their reopening.