Missing tennis star Peng Shuai reappears in video from event in China

0


The editor of the party newspaper World time, Hu Xijin, wrote on Twitter on Saturday that Peng “was freely staying at home” and “would appear in public and participate in certain activities soon.”

The English language World time, aimed at foreign readers, is known for its nationalist tone. Hu uses his Twitter account to criticize foreign governments and report social and economic problems abroad.

The tennis stars and the Women’s Tennis Association have been unusually vocal in demanding information on Peng. Other companies and sports groups are reluctant to take on Beijing for fear of losing access to the Chinese market or other reprisals.

The ruling party has given no indication whether it is investigating Peng’s accusation against Gao, 75, who left the Standing Committee in 2018 and has largely disappeared from public life.

Even if Peng’s charge is held to be valid, the Chinese are often jailed or face other penalties for embarrassing the party by posting abuse complaints instead of going through the secretive and often callous official system.

The status of star athletes like Peng is particularly sensitive. State media are celebrating their victories as proof that the party is making China strong. But the party is vigilant to ensure that it cannot use its notoriety and public appeal to erode its image.

Steve Simon, president and CEO of the WTA, expressed concern for Peng’s safety after Hu posted two videos on Saturday that appeared to show her in a restaurant.

“Although it is positive to see her, it is still unclear whether she is free and capable of making decisions and acting on her own, without coercion or outside interference. This video alone is insufficient,” Simon said. “Our relationship with China is at a crossroads.

The International Olympic Committee has been silent on the status of Peng, who has competed in three Olympics, contributing to the IOC’s multi-million dollar revenue from broadcast and sponsorship.

Emma Terho, the new president-elect of the IOC Athletes’ Commission responsible for representing the interests of Olympic athletes, said in a statement on Saturday “we support the approach of quiet diplomacy” favored by the IOC.

Last week, the foreign branch of state television released a statement in English attributed to Peng who withdrew his accusation against Zhang. Simon of the WTA questioned his legitimacy while others said it only increased their concern for his safety.

Tennis greats Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal had previously joined the chorus of concerns for Peng’s well-being.

AP, with Reuters


Share.

Comments are closed.